Babushka Anna is one amazing lady. She is the mother of Anastasia's birth dad. After Anastasia's dad passed away, Grandmother took care of her for many years. She knew the only way that Anastasia could have a family was if she put her in the orphanage (that's the way it works over here.) She is in the hospital now, but we didn't want to wait any longer to see her. She's been in the hospital since before we arrived. when we went into her room she was asleep. there are about 6 beds in the room. i think the lady in the bed next to her knew who we were so she started yelling at her! :) Anastasia went over to her bed and when she opened her eyes there she stood. She kissed every inch of Anastasia's face. It was a sweet sweet reunion. As we were walking to her room Anastasia said, "I think my heart is going to beat out of my chest." We visited with her for quite a while. She hopes to get out of the hospital next week and she said she'd like for us to come back when she is in her apartment and she wants Anastasia to take ANYTHING that she wants. we are forever grateful to this amazing woman for allowing us to bring anastasia into our family.
ON a funny note. Grandmother wants to teach me to braid Anastasia's hair. Apparently she thinks I'm not doing a good job taking care of it. She's got a cathetor in. When we all sat down together she placed the bag on my lap - nice! She eventually moved it between us, but then i was afraid since we were squished on that couch together that we were going to burst the bag - yuck!
They were so happy to see each other.

hysterical that they only two people who have no common language are the two who are talking.

I have no clue what we were laughing about. she speaks NO English and my russian is very limited!

We brought Grandmother a photo book that started when we met her and Anastasia then had pictures from the last 3 years of Anastasia's life in America.

Throughout our visit grandmother kept saying to Anastasia "I know this is real but I can't believe you're sitting here beside me!"
I'm so touched that Anastasia and her grandmother got to see each other! One day I hope we can take Julia to Russia to see her family! Makes me laugh that only you and Babuska were talking! ha! What an amazing trip you are having!
ReplyDeleteWow, that Babuska, she's amazing. I love A's description of the excitement "I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest" This is SOOOOOOO sweet.
ReplyDeleteOh Grandmazzer! Sweet! Praise God for giving A a grandmother that would love her enough to trust you to love her too! (even if you can't braid her hair in a suitable Ukrainian fashion!)I love the pics of them together. Maybe a touch weird at the moment but sweet memories when A is older. Her 2 worlds together. I love you Kimbell!
ReplyDelete