Got picked up mid-afternoon to head to the orphanage for the rest of the day. We called Sasha while we were on our way and she said she was at the library and call her when we got to orphanage. Of course we smiled thinking of her studying at the library or checking out more books to read… turns out she was there getting rid of every school book she has cause she told them she doesn’t need them anymore cause she’s headed to America! We did ask her what kind of books she likes – Harry Potter (she’s read them all) and detective books. Mark suggested Nancy Drew – which she is not familiar with, but she did ask “Rachel?” She wanted to know if Rachel read them! She loves her big sister – and we’re very thankful that Rachel is a good role model cause I really think she’d do anything Rachel would say!
Sasha burned her arm on the radiator in her room last night – they are SUPER HOT. So we said we’d take her to get some medicine. She LOVED that. We walked to the store and got some spray for burn. We stopped to get her a phone card as she’s about to run out of minutes. They had the cards in four different denominations and she requested the cheapest one – she figures she’s not going to be here long! I know adopting a 15-year-old is not going to be smooth sailing, but I do love how excited and committed she is. It was so fun walking through the streets and shopping at the street vendors that she and Anastasia have gone to for years.
Back at the orphanage we played outside some, then headed in to share some treats Sasha had bought for her friends. One of my buddies, Stephanie Heuerman made a bunch of jewelry and gave it to me to give to the girls. It was adorable watching the girls go through it all and pick a special piece or two for themselves. They spent an hour off and on selecting their pieces As usual there was no pushing or shoving to be first in line to pick and they all helped each other try their stuff on.
You know that Sasha has been “anti-pictures” lately, but today I found that she kept popping up in the pics. She actually enjoyed getting her picture taken. Also I always kiss and hug her – she often grunts and will sometimes say “me no like.” To which I always respond “me like!” But I keep on dishing it out – cause that’s what moms do. She actually stood still and waited for me to come back to kiss her before we headed to the taxi today. These poor kids have not had lots of loving. It takes them a while to figure out what to do with it!
Here’s some pics from today!
As soon as we got to orphanage today, Anastasia and VIktor were gone. We walked around and found them behind some buildings with Sergei and Maxim (all three of these boys were here this summer for hosting) walking on these concrete pillars/blocks. Look at Viktor's face. They were having a great time. THey made some kind of game out of it. People would get "out" and have to sit out - but I never figured out what caused someone to get out - but they understood the rules, so I just watched and enjoyed.

I like to call this "Climbing the walls!" Who needs fancy games? Anastasia joined right in - but stayed close to the safety of the bench!

Here are the girls selecting their jewelry lovingly made by the hands of Stephanie Heuerman. Stephanie you must look at all the pics on facebook. They absolutely loved it and it made them feel so special to get something just for them. I wish you could have been here to see thier faces in person!



We did some painting with string today. Anastasia and Viktor ended up together - as usual.

Sasha and Sabina hanging out. THe other picture is of VEronika and Sabina. AFter I took the pic - Sabina told me the reason her mouth was so wide open was because Veronika pinched her. Look real close - you can see that is exactly what Veronika was doing!


Luda telling Anastasia something - super important I am sure! They talk all the time!

Veronika and Luda. Luda wanted to show me her room today. The rest of the girls came in too. They love having pictures of themselves (of course they don't have family to have pictures of) and each of them showed me at least one framed picture of themselves (I plan on making collages for each of them with pictures from our trip). Luda was hysterical today - in rare form! Anastasia clued her in to "April Fool" and she got me repeatedly. At one point I asked where Sasha was - and Luda said "sleeping" So I went to Sasha's room to check on her - Luda followed and fell in the floor - literally - laughing when I found it empty - and said "april fool"

Zhenya and Oleg.

This was very sad to me. We'd had a great day hanging out with the kids. It was fun laying around in Luda's room chatting and having her show me her stuff. We shared treats and played games. But at the end of the day, this pic says it all. They head to another building to go in a big, sparse and cold cafeteria for dinner. No family dinner around the kitchen table. Nobody there to ask them what they did today. Nobody to encourage them or help them see the unique way that God has created them. Just a big old room with lots of kids eating bland food. This is not the way God intended it. We're praying for families for each of these kids.
Kim: Thanks for the wonderful post today. I have tears seeing these kids walk to the cold cafeteria. I'm praying that you will have details soon on a court date!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Karen
Kim, what a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing and pointing out what should be obvious but sometimes isn't. You look at these pictures and see these sweet kids who are smiling and having fun--they seem happy. Those sweet ones are making the best of their situation, but not having a FAMILY... that's a tragedy. It doesn't have to be their situation. Sitting around the dinner table, giving each other a kiss, hug and "i love you" each night, sharing what the Lord is doing in our lives--those are the things we take for granted, but these kids don't have those basic needs. I'm praying with you for families for all of them! love you so, jenny
ReplyDeleteI can't even respond to this post without crying. Thank you for sharing what you are thinking with all of us. We spent all of staff prayer praying BIG prayers today with out any hesitation. I am praying all 20 of those kids get amazing families. Soon.
ReplyDelete