Just to give you updates on the last few days – when we were on “dark side of the moon.” – that’s how Beth was referring to it. One day we got just a little bit of internet – when I was balanced on the balcony in the rain picking up signal from coffee shop across the street. Was able to email the kids – and got call from Rachel within minutes. Thanks to Janis and Beth for calling and checking up on us too.
Monday was rainy, gloomy, no progress on paperwork, no internet, no visit to orphanage – a day we’ll just try to forget.
Tuesday we had an unexpected guest! This building has locked door on the main entrance. Visitors have to punch in our flat number – then we buzz them in. Well our phone rang – Mark couldn’t understand so he put Anastasia on. The guy said he lived on the 3rd floor and didn’t have his keys. So being the naïve nice Americans we buzzed him in. Within seconds we had a policeman pounding on our door (yep he lied to get into the building). We didn’t answer and called our facilitator. He reiterated what we’d been told by our facilitator during our first adoption – do NOT open the door to police. So we just stayed quiet and he finally left. Recently Anastasia’s grandma opened the door to police over here and the guy robbed her. Yuri, Anastasia’s facilitator, had told us NEVER open door to police unless you smell smoke. Later on in day in talking to our other facilitator she said if you smell smoke open the door to a fireman – not a policeman. So for those of you traveling guess the tip is – NEVER open the door to a policeman over here. That also explains why so many of the kids we bring home are terrified of policemen (Anastasia was). We have a policeman who lives on the street so she got over that pretty quick.
Yesterday we also went to Anastasia’s grandmothers. She insisted on fixing us some potatoes. I figured what can a few potatoes hurt. Well by the time she got done we had chicken and bones covered in some kind of lard (that she pulled out of the cupboard – not the refrigerator), mushrooms (that she had picked herself in the “forest”), some kind of fried fish… I thought I was literally going to throw up watching her cook. I served myself and she shook her head and started the piling the food on my plate. During the meal, Janis called. Mark told her this was too good to miss as I was turning many shades of green so he ended the call with Janis. I know Janis was more sympathetic and must have prayed for me cause I was able to keep it down. Every time Grandmother turned her head I put food back in the serving bowls or on Anastasia’s plate (she loved the food). Anastasia loved being back at Grandmothers as she lived here for years before moving to the orphanage. At the end of the meal Grandmother said I was a terrible eater! ☺ We had a wonderful visit. Were there several hours and Grandmother gave Anastasia all kinds of stuff to take home with her to remember Grandmother and Ukraine.
Getting picked up to go to orphanage soon – more pics later!
Going back home can be exhausting! Here she is asleep on dad's lap!

We are keeping up with school work! Thanks to Anastasia's teachers for getting her work together.

Grandmother gave Anastasia and me new shirts! She insisted that I try mine on.
So glad to hear from you! PLEASE don't open that door! Yikes! That is freaky! I'm sure Mark was ready to protect his girls! Hang in there! I know it must be hard but if the net goes down again try to remember that we're not able to talk to you but we're thinking of you every minute! Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteI was praying for you Kim! Glad you were able to keep it down...too bad she didn't have a dog. THANK YOU for not making the same mistake Jim did by opening that door. I pray God will keep you under the shadow of His wing. Praying Psalm 91 over all of you there. Give our love to Sasha and Anastasia (and the rest of the kids).
ReplyDeleteLove from the Lightner 4. This is the HARDEST part right now, before knowing the court date, when it seems indefinite. Hang in there! Hugs to S. and A.!!!!
ReplyDeleteYour shirts are beautiful. That is a gorgeous picture of love between the 3 of you.
ReplyDeleteYeah you're back!!! Oh, I was just laughing at loud at your fish/bones/lard story...too funny! The cop thing--AACK--I'm not even going to think about that except to prepare to put lots of furniture in front of our apt door every day when we're there and find a good hiding place. I'm praying for you all!! Love the shirt on you Kimmie-just your style! Love ya, Jenny
ReplyDeleteKiev - from boring to wet your pants excitement in less than 60 seconds! Americans always have someone beating on the door in Kiev. All the kids can figure out the codes on the doors. Look for the worn numbers. Your visitor must have been in a hurry or not too bright! We are so happy that you are back! Praying for that date!
ReplyDeleteGosh I get my fix back and start crying again. Had not cried since you lost internet.
ReplyDeleteGrandma must think you guys are awesome to put on such a feast!!!
Be careful
Jennifer o
See Kim, now you don't have to go shopping when you return to the US. You are coming back with new clothes.
ReplyDeleteThe policeman story is freaky. I am so glad that you remembered the advice of others and did not open the door. Way to go.
Kim & Mark - isn't it great how God can make this addition to your family very, very memorable through your daily trials and adventures! And Kim, I'm so proud of you that you didn't "bring dinner back up", I think you were lucky to see her prepare it! Can't wait to meet Sasha!
ReplyDelete