Wednesday, April 8, 2009

To Inna, Zhenya and Vadim

We've had requests from the kids back home for some books written in Russian. We spent quite a while at the bookstore this morning (after going to notary - that's progress!) selecting just the right books. It was difficult. In the kids book section they have books with pictures of kids (looking to be about 12-14) sipping cocktails. At checkout I saw some little books with child like designs on cover. THey looked like maybe they were joke books - so I was picking up a few for little treats for the kids back home. Then I noticed that on the cover of one was a guy grabbing the naked breasts of a woman - didn't buy that one either. Actually put all of those little books back.

So here's what we got. We found White Fang by Jack London (Bottom row on left) and Treasure Island (bottom row right). Anastasia helped us find those. I was also able to identify an Indiana Jones book all on my own. Tried to find some Chronicles of Narnia of Narnia for Luda - she loves those books, but they did not have any CS Lewis books in Russian - did have some in English though. Sasha likes detective books and Mark found an Agatha Christy book for her - I've never read them and hope they are suitable. I, Z and V if there are specific books you want - holler. They have all the Harry Potter books but didn't know if any of you wanted them. Sasha says she's already read them all as they had them in her school library (an advantage to the kids moving out of the orphanage school which had NO BOOKS to the public school).

Still need to pick up some Calamari for Zhenya. And Inna don't forget to call Sasha and tell her what you want! We're making tuna sandwiches for lunch then will head to the orphanage soon.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, its not enough to be Mother Theresa...now you are Santa Clause...what a women. I guess since you are bringing things home, I will take Viktor.

    Jennifer O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I had another thought, I love the picture of Anastasia and Sasha from when they were really little. You should recreate that picture!!!

    What a neat keepsake.....dreams and miracles do happen.
    Jennifer O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that notary session means a court date is in sight!

    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!!! Vadim will love any of them. He jumped up and down yelling in happiness to see the Indiana Jones one.
    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.. and I explained about the book cover with nudity and he laughingly started screaming "no, no, no ... Oh Keem no!"
    The boredom sounds stifling. I'm glad you are getting to love on all the kids. HANG IN THERE!
    I'm recovering from my PDSD--like PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but Post-Disney Stress Disorder.) Vadim is so happy to be home. He'd rather be here with his computer games and bike than anywhere else in the world. Every minute you spend there builds Sasha's understanding of the love you have for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zhenya said the blue book looks great! And please let her know if you got any Russian CD's? She's excited that you are shopping for calamari!
    Thanks Kim!!

    ReplyDelete