Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fun day with Sasha

Had a great day with Sasha. She hung out here at the apartment for a few hours, then we went to the orphanage to deliver some stuff to the kids. I posted a bunch of pics on facebook Might post some here in morning. WHen we got to the orphanage most of the girls were in dance class so Sasha and I hung out with Luda. That was really fun. Luda invited me to spend the night at the orphanage - I wish they would let me. Luda also fixed me a cup of tea. In the two months that we were here for Anastasia's adoption and the 4 weeks I've spent here so far on Sasha's I have NEVER drank the tap water. Don't even brush my teeth with it. But I could not pass up her sweet offer - so she made me some black tea. She asked if I wanted sugar - then she looked in the sugar bowl and made a face and showed me - UGHHHHHHHH - much worse than drinking tap water. So I took mine plain.

When the rest of the girls finished dance they came and hung out with us for a while. They wanted me to take LOTS of pictures. LOts of crazy posing - I think that's from all the teen mags they like to read. Lida was bleaching her hair with a bag (like a Kroger bag) on her head. That was interesting. Say Zhenya the boy - adorable as always.

Unfortunately - fun at the orphanage - was the most productive thing that happened today. Apparently the office at police station that processes passports is shut down for an inspection and we all know that over here they could not possibly do two things at once (like get inspected and do a little business). Read that last line with a real whiny and sarcastic voice! We don't know how long it will be shut down. It's been closed since Tuesday, I'm being told and we have no idea when it will reopen. We're praying for tomorrow and would love it if you would too. Then when they open - that it be processed in lightening speed. Okay - you can roll your eyes when talking about lightening speed in Ukraine. i did when I just wrote it! RIght now the earliest we will get home is Tuesday. Going to miss Carter's prom :( But he's going with one of my best friend's adorable daughters and in a group with my neice, so Beth and Kris I'm counting on your for pictures - I have our camera here!

Sasha was talking about " tomorrow, tomorrow home?" (which means Saturday - count it folks). She started doing this to count time and tell us days cause she can't count in English or say days of week in order. So I said no, "tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow maybe home" - which would mean Tuesday. To which she says "NO - five days??? Tuesday???" So I"m kinda wondering why we're still doing the tomorrow, tomorrow..... We talked about when she's going to move in my apartment. She has told us that she wants to spend as much time as possible with her friends so I've told her she can stay in the orphanage as long as they will allow. She said she wants to be here and there "two places I like." I love that she can articulate that. She did say she definitely wants to stay here the night before we leave. Seeing as how we have a 5:30am flight - that's a good thing. She'll probably need to move in before that.

Today she and Luda were saying thier names so I videotaped it. I never tire of hearing her say her name. Thanks for checking. Here's hoping I have some real progress to report tomorrow. But I will say that getting invited to spend the night at the orphanage, having Luda fix me tea and spending some one on one time with Sasha made for a very good day.

Oh - and someone knocked on my door tonight. Igor (one of the team here) had called earlier asking if I had water in my apartment cause someone's apartment was flooded). So I thought maybe it was somebody about that. I looked thru peephole and there were two guys in the hall. I started to answer, then called Igor. He said never open door to anyone you don't know. I'll be so glad to be back in good old Fort Thomas where we leave our doors unlocked (when people go in their door here you ALWAYS here them lock it when they get in) and a 4-year-old can answer the door... And don't worry - I'm safe. There are TWO doors (the outer one is metal) and THREE locks on my apartment and the outer door to building has lock too (so the guys in the hall were probably legit, but I'm living by Igor's rule and not opening the door).

4 comments:

  1. DONT OPEN THE DOORS!!!!!
    Jennifer O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, thank you for not opening that door. The videos of the girls are hilarious. SO sweet. I hope that you will be home Tuesday -- we're praying that can happen. Pete is making a mini-Documentary of the zoo for you, so you have that to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. She really does wear that hoodie EVERY DAY. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny how each family has a different delays at this stage of the process. Our delay was the tax ID, so when that went without a hitch, I thought, "You are good to go."
    We are praying for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete